My one remaining pumpkin has begun to swell. No telling how big it will manage to get at this point. I can’t imagine it’ll get anywhere near ripe. The kalettes are possibly just starting to swell, but it’s really not obvious.
The Ferline tomatoes have suddenly come up with a new round of tomatoes, so they may not be done. They are also quite a number of new beefsteak tomatoes – and plenty of Romas of course. We picked most of the pears today, and there are a few more left on the tree.
I’ve made an attempt at collecting some lobelia seed, basically just cutting off the tops of the plants and putting them in a paper bag. The seeds are so small that I’ll probably end up sowing them as mulch still in their seed casings. They’ve possibly already self-sown in Bed 9 as there are lots of seedlings popping up already. Various morning glory seedlings have popped up too.
As well as the rotten windfalls, there were a number of rotten apples on the tree. It turns out that this is brown rot, which spreads and which shouldn’t be composted. So I knocked off as many as I could and raked up a heavy bucket full of rotten fruit. While I was under the tree I found that a currant of some sort has self-sown under there. I’m hoping that I might be able to pull it up and plant it somewhere to see what it does.
The big sunflower has turned down and the dip has filled with water. I topped it up for the birds in case they realise how cool it is.
I tackled the mess beside the compost bin and absolutely clear out the nettles, bindweed and big borage plant. The last bag of leaves has been added to the bin and I gave it the last of the collected rainwater moisten it after our hot weather. I’m not sure if there’ll be any at the bottom ready for this year.
The field vole had taken a real liberty and made a tunnel all along my fence line, meaning that the tiles on top have caved in. That tunnel is now full of pieces of edging and soil, so it will have its work cut out doing that again. Something has also been digging a hole round the corner and making a mess, but clearing up all that and getting rid of the edging will be a job for another day.
I’ve pulled up the volunteer plants too – a gourd hanging on the back of the compost heap and a huge tomato vine that’s suddenly appeared, bearing fruit. But sorry, it’s time to tidy up this .