I did a bit more dahlia maintenance, having forgotten time and again that they were out in the garage waiting for me. I’ve cut the big stems right down, dusted off as much dry soil as I can and cut off all the frondy roots. A few of the tubers weren’t worth keeping, so I cut them off too. I made a few accidental nicks in the tubers, so I’m going to leave it a week or two before I put them into any level of closed storage to let them and the newly cut stalks dry off.

After that I’m hoping I’ll be able to layer them in one cardboard box, with newspaper around them. With any luck I’d then be able to lift out the layers when needing to check the tubers over the winter.