I got down to the plot a bit earlier and did a good 3 hr shift in the morning, digging over the tomato/sweet pea bed and the cucamelon bed. It turns out that runner beans and cucamelons both have bizarre root systems.
The cucamelon lumps are buried so deeply that in the end you have to give up and snap them off. They’re strangely big for such delicate plants.
I went back after lunch to manure and cover the two beds I’d done, and cut the strip for the middle bed that was needed. While I was manuring, Mum finished weeding the runner beans bed, so that was manured and covered too.
The shed needs an end of season tidy. For starters, there are cobwebs and snails in there.